The 24rd episode of the Side Quest Completed podcast, a podcast about game development hobbies.
Jaycie and Calvin talk about prioritizing tasks.
Length: 33 minutes
- If your game is a passion project, where just adding anything is the fun, prioritization will be different
- Most important in deadline driven projects that need to finish to ship
- Prioritization could be for specific milestones, events, opportunities
- Important goal for prioritization: “purchasable”
- Prioritize integration (steam) over optional or extra content
- Marketing events could be prioritized as part of the deadline pressure, prioritization touches all areas
- Linear progress of game may not map to actual priorities
- Jaycie says "Build levels 1, 5, then 3"
- Calvin says "Build levels 3, 0, then -1"
- Some times, you can prioritize for your own motivation and reward feedback
- Jaycie mentions the “I Should Be Writing” podcast
- Figuring out an ending helped to move Jaycie’s project forward
- Don’t let asset quality hold you back
- Remember, Kirby was originally a placeholder!
- This week, Calvin has been reading/watching/playing: * Spell/Sword * Why Are We Yelling * Star Trek Discovery and Picard * Kipo * Maisel * Raft
- Jaycie has been reading/playing/watching * Season 3 of Castlevania * “Never Split The Difference”